In Christ Alone

"I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice? Only words, words; to be led out to battle against other words." - Orual in C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Little More...

I wanted to explain the argument from desire a little more. So, I started thinking about it and remembered this quote from, guess who, C.S. Lewis. He puts things in a way I cannot.

He explains: Most people, if they had really to look into their own hearts, would know that they do want, and want acutely, something that cannot be had in this world. There are all sorts of things in this world that offer to give it to you, but they never quite keep their promise. - Mere Christianity, Book III, "Hope"

Later, he writes more: The Christian says, 'Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and to help others to do the same.'

So, for example, I look at my little boy, Jackson, and think about the depth of my love for that awesome little person. I must keep in mind that my love for him is but a shadow of things to come. And, that, my friends, is an awesome thought. It makes me want to love all the more. It makes me love life all the more because of what it tells me about the God we serve. It makes me desire Heaven all the more that I might experience the ultimate reality of Love. It hurts (in a good way) to think on it. The Scriptures are clear on this point.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. - I Corinthians 13:12

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. - II Corinthians 4:16-18

These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. - Hebrews 11:13-16

So, the next time you find yourself desiring something more or better than this world can offer, don't feel guilty. Embrace it. Grab hold of that and don't let go of it because it the part of God in us calling us home to Him. And, when we get there, that home will never disappoint.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Mom said…

    The love for a child is something that you can never truly know until you have one of your own. I am so glad that you have gotten to experience that love. It only grows more each day. Thanks for the thoughts for today. Love Mom

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger T said…

    I like it in The Last Battle when Jewel the Unicorn finally gets to the New Narnia and recognizes it as the place he'd "looked for his whole life."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home