In Christ Alone

"I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice? Only words, words; to be led out to battle against other words." - Orual in C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Going Home?


Often I have struggled with the question of my future destination in ministry. Where will I go after I complete my seminary training? Many times, people have asked me that same question. Each time, I found myself wanting to answer, but instead, giving some cliche like "I want to be open to any possibility." In reality, there is within me a deep desire, a longing of sorts, to return to the place I affectionately call "home." Now don't misunderstand me, I realize that my true home is in Heaven with God, but most of you understand what I'm saying. I frequently find myself longing to minister to the people of my home state, Mississippi. However, upon allowing myself the thought of returning to be close to family and friends, guilt normally arises. I begin to think that I am simply being narrow-minded. I can hear a voice in my head saying, "What about God's will for your life?" A question that definitely deserves an answer. What about God? What does He want for me? I have committed myself to His will. So, does that mean my desire to return is wrong?

Today, I ran across an article that, at the very least, made me understand this desire. David Alan Black has written a short article entitled, "From Among You." In it, he explains that oftentimes congregations make the mistake of choosing men who lack a vested interest in the community. The same is true of many pastors who choose a place based on opportunity and not "fit," for lack of a better term. Dr. Black seems to be pointing to this phenomenon as a reason for the epidemic of short terms of Southern Baptist pastors (on average it is about one and a half years). If a man had ties to the community, then "greener pastures" would lose their luster. In fact, the pastor might look to see that the pastures are pretty darn green right where they are. So, my desire to return "home" might not be a terrible thing after all. In reality, it might be the best thing. It might even be that God wants be to go "home."

3 Comments:

  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger Charlie Wallace said…

    I agree with that. Emily and I were open to all possibilities as well and God definitely called us to Sumter - 45 minutes east of my hometown.

    I know the culture very well. I can relate to the people better then I could relate to people in Raleigh or Texas. It makes great sense. I'm glad that there is a professor who is open-minded to the fact that God can use anyone anywhere...even if it is close to home.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Pop said…

    Michael I'm a little prejudiced but I feel that being close to home and serving the Lord is very important. It seems that a lot of ministers believe that their calling must be somewhere other than home. Actually the fields are ready for harvest in your own backyard. Hurry home. Love you and thank you Mr. Black....Dad

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post, Michael. "Going home" was the thing that drove me to consider ministry with the military. There is indeed something beautiful about being sent out by a congregation with their hopes of you acquiring an education that will be used to "plow the soil" where you yourself grew up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home