In Christ Alone

"I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice? Only words, words; to be led out to battle against other words." - Orual in C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces

Friday, March 09, 2007

Catching Lightning in a Bottle

Recently, I have been reading The Lord of the Rings. In fact, I just finished The Fellowship of the Ring. First, let me say that the books put the movies to shame, and I think the movies are great. Of more import to this particular post is something in specific from The Fellowship. The movie fails to even include a conversation that moved me very deeply.

Deep into the journey from Rivendell, the fellowship has just escaped Moria without their fallen guide, Gandalf. After fleeing the Orcs of Moria, the travellers wander into the wood of Lothlorien. In these woods, Elves dwell. Upon arriving at Galadhrim, the capital city of Lothlorien, the fellowship find themselves in a place that would rival the beauty of Eden. Even in winter, the leaves never fall; they only turn gold. The ground is covered with lush, green grass and flowers of all sorts and colors. The weather is always very fair and the air very fresh. The water of the rivers is cold and refreshing, even healing. As Tolkien describes it, one is whisk away into a paradise of beauty and joy.

During their stay, the adventures grow closer to one another and are saddened that they have to leave this place. The melancholy that fills them is captured in an enlightening conversation between Gimli, a dwarf, and Legolas, an elf. Personally, I felt most touched by the thoughts of Gimli. This is merely a part of the conversation between the two.

"I have looked the last upon that which was fairest...Hencefoward I will call nothing fair, unless it be her gift [the Lady of Galadhrim gave Gimli three strands of her hair]...Tell me, Legolas, why did I come on this Quest? Little did I know where the chief peril lay! Truly Elrond spoke, saying that we could not foresee what we might meet upon our road. Tormet in the dark was the danger I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I know the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord. Alas for Gimli son of Gloin."

"Nay!" said Legolas. "Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Gloin: for you loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise...and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlorien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

"Maybe," said Gimli;"and I thank you for your words. True words doubtless; yet all such comfort is cold. Memory is not what the heart desires. That is only a mirror...Or so says the heart of Gimli the Dwarf."

Gimli's words pierced me. Memory is not what the heart desires...that is only a mirror. There was once a time when we, too, were in Eden. We, also, experienced the light and joy, and the painful parting with it. And like Gimli, we desire the real thing, the reality of Eden. We want to be in a place where light and joy never end. One day, we will again experience light and joy, never to be parted from it again. One day, the memory of Eden will be renewed, the mirror will cease to be a reflection of what is real and finally become reality...Or so says the heart of Michael the man...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger Mom said…

    That was very thought provoking Michael. A preview of what Heaven will look like. Love Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home